first build on winVista not so good

Get technical support about the C++ source code and about Lua scripts for maps, entities, GUIs, the console, materials, etc. Also covered are the Cafu libraries and APIs, as well as compiling, linking, and the build system.
tksharpless
first build on winVista not so good

Post by tksharpless » 2010-07-24, 19:19

Hi
Just downloaded Cafu source and SCons on WinVista SP2 and tried to build, with partial success.

CaWE build failed as my wxWidgets is in a nonstandard place. I put the root directory for wxW in the config file but some headers were not found. Do you think I can easily make SCons know my layout? I would prefer not to do a standard install of wxWidgets, unless absolutely necessary.

I did get a release Cafu.exe; copied to Cafu root & tried running it. After a lot of weird screen res changes and black screens, it disappeared (fortunately without taking the OS with it). This box has an HP w2207 wide monitor and nVidia geForce 6150 video. That monitor does not work well at other than its native resolution, which is 1680 x 1050. Can you suggest any way I could get Cafu to run in the existing screen resolution?

In general I am impressed with how easily I have gotten this far. Cafu seems rather well organized compared to other big open source projects I've built.

Regards, Tom
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: first build on winVista not so good

Post by Carsten » 2010-07-24, 23:35

Hi Tom,
tksharpless wrote:CaWE build failed as my wxWidgets is in a nonstandard place. I put the root directory for wxW in the config file but some headers were not found. Do you think I can easily make SCons know my layout? I would prefer not to do a standard install of wxWidgets, unless absolutely necessary.
The Cafu source code ships with a copy of wxWidgets ("batteries included"). Normally, if you don't change the path settings at all, everything should work out-of-the-box (and soon we'll even detect the installed compiler automatically as well).
I did get a release Cafu.exe; copied to Cafu root & tried running it. After a lot of weird screen res changes and black screens, it disappeared (fortunately without taking the OS with it). This box has an HP w2207 wide monitor and nVidia geForce 6150 video. That monitor does not work well at other than its native resolution, which is 1680 x 1050. Can you suggest any way I could get Cafu to run in the existing screen resolution?
Yes, open file config_p.lua for editing, and add at the very bottom:

Code: Select all

dlg_clWindowSizeX = 1680
dlg_clWindowSizeY = 1050
Save and restart, then it should work. If it still doesn't, you can try

Code: Select all

dlg_clWindowSizeX = 1024
dlg_clWindowSizeY = 768
dlg_clFullScreen = true
instead (windowed mode is alternatively activated by command line option -noFS (no full-screen)).

Additionally, you may want to have a look at http://www.cafu.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=746
In general I am impressed with how easily I have gotten this far. Cafu seems rather well organized compared to other big open source projects I've built.
Thanks, it's nice to hear that. :)
Best regards,
Carsten
tksharpless

Re: first build on winVista not so good

Post by tksharpless » 2010-07-25, 04:23

Thanks, Carsten

Reverting to the distributed CompilerSetup gave successful build. That also allowed Cafu to run (before, some renderers had not been built yet), and the window size command you suggested makes it like my screen.

So now I am ready to start hacking!

Best, Tom