Lighting

General discussion of current events, conversations with other board members, etc.
arfur9
Lighting

Post by arfur9 » 2017-03-03, 16:52

I'm curious to why when I compile the level on high ,why walls that are in shadow render blue, if it was set to normal its a lot darker
pic0008.jpg
pic0009.jpg
I prefer the normal setting

The map is a large outside world then the house inside this

I'm more used to 3D rendering
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Lighting

Post by Carsten » 2017-03-04, 00:35

arfur9 wrote:I'm curious to why when I compile the level on high ,why walls that are in shadow render blue, if it was set to normal its a lot darker
It's hard to tell from the screenshot alone, but it looks as if moonlight from outside (which is set to have a bluish tint) casts through the window into the building.

The amount of reflection that is processed at the normal level may not be enough to cause this, but at the higher setting, it does.

You can check as follows, but be prepared that you have to do some typing blindly. In the in-game console, type:

Code: Select all

forceRM()
This restores normal rendering. Initially it has no effect at all, but later you can easily repeat it from the console buffer by using the arrow up and RETURN keys.

forceRM("wireframe")
Not quite what we need here, but a good start and practice. Try to turn it off again with arrow up and RETURN as described above, or type the command blindly.

forceRM("Textures/generic/_white")
After that the screen may go black and you may have to close the console blindly with ESC or F1.
With the CaLight quality set to high, the result should roughly look like this.
I'm more used to 3D rendering
?
Best regards,
Carsten
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-03-04, 11:45

Ok thanks
I've noticed something strange. I seem to be getting the lightmap on the sky?
pic0012.jpg
scenefiles

I've noticed a problem with my door, the normal must of flipped going from C4D back to Sketchup so I'll fix that

Sorry I meant I usually do rendered images, all the games I've done in the past where 2D (rendered 3D images)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-03-04, 15:27

Thanks for posting the scene files.

The advice with forceRM("Textures/generic/_white") was a bit problematic, because the skies look wrong in this mode while they are technically fine, so please ignore seeing lightmaps in the sky. :cheesy:

The problem is that I cannot reproduce the lighting in your screenshot. See this image for my result after compiling your map in high quality mode:
pic0000.jpg
(In the inside of the building, there is no lighting from the sky at all.)

In both your and my images, it seems that the light comes from the very same direction (in the "exit direction of the door"). But in your case, it seems as if the ground is covered by some material that has lightmaps, whereas in my case it is alsoo sky, which does not have lightmaps and thus doesn't reflect any light.

In turn, as your floor reflects light, some of the reflected light enters the building through the window, causing the blue area that you see on the wall.
High quality Radiosity implementation and all that. :mrgreen: :wink:
Best regards,
Carsten
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-03-04, 15:46

That makes sense, funny enough most of the scenes I've rendered in the last few years either have shadow catchers or frontal projected textures on a plane and green is a colour that bleeds (it was a terrain texture I used)
It was a lot more than I expected, I have a lot to learn about the lights
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-03-04, 18:21

It compiles a lot faster to with the terrain texture replaced
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-03-04, 18:48

arfur9 wrote:It compiles a lot faster to with the terrain texture replaced
Yes. CaLight compile time grows significantly with map size (i.e., lightmaps size).

Something else:
Please note that I've just fixed #158. This has two effects:
  • The collision model of your door works now. That also means that the door is now blocked – the player can no longer leave the house.
  • The collision model of your door frame is "empty": It consists of the frame model, but has no solid brushes. As a result, it doesn't block anything. A related message ("... has no solid objects") is printed to the in-game console.
Best regards,
Carsten
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-03-04, 19:02

Cool my blundering about is helping lol
Collision boxes; I couldn't find much about them, so I just loaded pre made ones to see how they worked, I realized the door frame wasn't the right way, I think I did that first then the door.
I wasn't convinced to whether it was a bug or not, I thought maybe the door was to thin to be honest